Some TV and other Tidbits

I was watching a VH1 special on the 1970's tonight (great timing, though I only saw about 20 minutes of it) and came away with these:

TV Shows:
Barney Miller. A great collection of characters in Jack Soo (sp?), Wojo (I won't attempt the whole name), Fish, and, of course, Barney.
WKRP in Cincinnati. Venus Flytrap, Johnny Fever, Les Nessman, the blonde (what was her name?).
Charo. Enough said (cuchi!)
Christy McNichol.
Farah Fawcett. Her image on that poster I had in my room is indelibly seared on my brain.

Here is something I would like very much to know what happened to it: in thinking about Star Trek (the real one with Spock and Kirk), I suddenly remembered I had a set of blue prints of the star ship Enterprise! What the heck happened to those!! Did Mom throw those out when she moved?!

When I left for college (1982), I left a room full of my life to date in College Park, not thinking even once that Mom would sell the house. That was 15 years of my life! I can't believe I didn't come home to at least look through my stuff, though I wasn't exactly mobile then. I don't remember the year she moved - did she put it on the market the next spring (1983)? Most of what I owned ended up in the landfill, I guess. Perhaps it belonged there for the most part. I took my stereo system with me to college, along with all my albums. She did keep my trophies from little league and t-ball. I don't think Farah Fawcett made that cut. It seems like I had other posters on my wall, but I don't remember them right now.

For whatever reason, I also thought about a friend of mine I hadn't thought of for at least 30 years, and I can't even remember his last name (it will come to me): Terry. Terry and Derek were, I think, neighbors, and it may only be through Derek that I knew Terry at all. The main thing I remember of him is his collection of very small soldiers - not like WWI or II army men - but like 18th and 19th century foot soldiers, calvalry, canons, and the like. And he was so studious about each type of soldier, their paraphenalia, fighting tactics, etc. Derek was right there with him, and between the two, there were thousands of soldiers. He was also very good at chess, as I recall. I wonder what ever happened to those fellows.

Good night.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Matt here.
Ah, "the room full of my life". Yes, I recieved the call from mom that my 'stuff' was lovingly packed away and put above the garage at the new home, ready for me to get when I could. Well, admittedly, with school, and other activities, it was a good couple of years before I was able to get down to Florida from North Carolina to collect my memories. The phone call went something like this: Hi Mom, I want to come down to get my stuff. "What stuff"? You know, from the old house and you put it above the garage? "I don't remember.....there's nothing up there.....".
So much for childhood memories.
Anonymous said…
Matt here.
TV shows. Wow, I remember never missing Charlie's Angels, Wonder Woman, MASH, Bionic Man/Woman, Scoobie Do, Roadrunner/Bugs Bunny. In the 60's into the early 70's there was Get Smart, Johnny Quest, Bonanza, Gun Smoke, I Dream of Jeannie(sp.?), The Rifleman, Combat!, Bandstand, Benny Hill, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Wonderful World of Disney, Josey and the Pussycats, Dudley DoRight, Captain Kangaroo (bravest man that actor James Coburn ever saw in combat during WWII), Matt Helm, The Saint, Mission Impossible, Dialing for Dollars (movies usually B-type like Godzilla) Hogan's Heros, Gilligan's Island.
Whew! I'll think of more later.
Anonymous said…
Matt here.
TV continued:
Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters, reruns of the Stooges. What was that country show with all those fine skimpy dressed girls, big Junior, Buck, pickin' and a grinin', "Ye-hah!", "if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all, gloom dispare and agony on meee!"?? Oh yeah, HEE HAW! Let's not forget Laugh-in with Dan Rowan and Dick Martin; or was it Dick Rowan and Dan Martin? Goldie Hawn when she was still cute. Joanne Worley, and the little german guy. Remember Daniel Boone with Fess Parker? How about Tarzan with Ron Ely? Do you remember Gomer Pyle? Gawwwlly Sarge. How about Bewitched with Elizabeth Montgomery. Okay, which Darren was the best? Not one of my favorites was the Partridge Family. Remember My Three Sons. Leave it to Beaver? (Has it occured to you that we may have watched a heck of a lot of TV yet??) Remember the Victory at Sea series? The guy that narrated that series had a voice that could make anything sound important and awesome. By the way, you can BUY all of these on DVD now. I wont. Why? Because it was FREE when I watched it the first time! Okay, I might think of a few more later.
Anonymous said…
Matt here.
Okay, how could I have forgotten Star Trek? Bones, Capt. Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, Spock. Remember, if there was a crew member that wore red, he or she was sure to die on the show?! Remember the episodes with Finnegan? Whatever happened to that guy? How about Battle Star Galactica. Cylons were so stupid. But, you had to like Starbuck. What was the show with the car that had the red light on the front starring David Hasselhoff? Not one of my favorites, though. Remember the A=Team? Stupid but fun to watch.
Ah, the era without the 'Reality' shows.
I remember most of those. Despite a long list, you left off at least two favorites: two clues:

1) Though taking place in completely different eras, the lead character in each was played by the same actor

2) Derringer

I can't remember the actor's name just this minute though.

Thanks for the list of shows - I'll update the sidebar list soon.
Anonymous said…
Matt here.
Yeah! Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Black Sheep were also a couple we never missed. James Conrad was the actor that I believe starred in those shows. Also, there was Green Acres ("is the place to be"), and Lost in Space which had the 'professor' that you just wanted kick his butt all of the time, and that blonde that was gorgeous. I remember having a magazine ad with her modeling a cigarette brand that I had on the bottom of the top bunk of our Navy bunk beds. That ad came out years after her stint on the lost in space show.
Later.