4 minds are better than one

So I've chatted with Matt (last week) and John (tonight) and have these gems to show for it:

First, Sara(h) Hinterthan. I have in weeks past had a very murky memory of playing Truth-or-Dare with some neighborhood children. It was nighttime, and I recall either moonlight or a streetlight - spooky either way. It seems like Tina Hood was there, maybe her brother Gary, and until tonight, a mystery blond girl: Sara?! I think so... When did she move? I can't remember ever even talking to her, but I am sure I liked her. Bart was hardly a fair trade.

Speaking of Bart: why do I not have ANY memory of seeing anyone else associated with Bart, not even parents?

Matt had mentioned a Tom Manny, and while the name rung a bell, I still haven't put a face to it, nor do I understand where we would have known him from. Is this where lawn darts happened? Also, was this the site of my ill-fated motorcycle ride? I have a distinct memory of being in a gang of kids, each one getting a chance to ride a motorcycle. It was a long, dirt/grass drive, flat, parallel to a barbed-wire fence with wood posts. It came my turn, and I must have been young, because I remember realizing immediately how big the bike seemed and how this was probably not a good idea (where were the adults?). I climbed on (was I brave, or just not wanting to 'chicken out'?) and set off. I got to a point on the drive and decided to turn around, soon finding that motorcycles don't turn like Schwinn Stingrays! Unfortunately, I turned toward the barbed wire fence, quickly ran out of space, didn't know how to stop, and rode the bike right into the fence. Somehow, it rolled up the fence like it was going up a hill, went vertical, and stopped, standing straight up, hanging in the fence. I fell off onto my back, though I don't remember being hurt at all. The main thing I remember: kids no longer got to ride the motorcycle, I knew it was because of me, and I still remember a few narrowed eyes of some angry boys. My coping method was to act like nothing happened and smile. Ugh, I felt so awful.
Where did this take place, and when? Was this the Enterprise Boys ranch that I would never have thought of if John hadn't mentioned it tonight? Tom Manny's? Comments? Guessing, I was nine-ish, so, 1973 (third grade). Hmmmm, maybe twelve-ish? Would anyone in his right mind let a sixth-grader ride a motorcycle?

John, without my mentioning it, also remembered the foot long hot dogs from Pine Hills. He also remembers a yellowish light, the walk-up window, and sitting outside (did mom often just stay in the car?). John also mentioned it was near a Dairy Queen to which we would go after the foot-longs (sounds like some carb loading to me!). Dilly Bars rings a bell. I wish I knew the name of that place.

John: please upload some of those pictures you mentioned tonight.

I think these are great stories to tell my kids.

Comments