Monkey ear pods


Monkey ear pods
Originally uploaded by g_suttenfield
The 'ears' from the ear tree are a definite early memory. There was a tree in the front and one in the back when we moved in. The ears were excellent objects to throw, fitting so neatly in your hand.

These trees were huge, so I think it odd I do not really remember them being cut down, nor do I remember a stump (I think the one in the back was covered over by the new patio - perhaps the reason the tree was cut down in the first place?). I do remember remnants of the pods as left by the lawn mower. It seems to me they could get a bit smelly once over ripe as well.

Some interesting facts about these trees I bet you did not know:
Real name: Enterolobium cyclocarpum (means 'fruit in a circle')
The pod is a legume
It is the national tree of Costa Rica and El Salvador

Cheers,

Comments

Anonymous said…
Matt here.
The ear trees were cool to the extent that the pods were fun to throw. Yes, they did stink as they decomposed. What was worse was the orange 'fruit' that came off the palm tree. They not only stank to high heaven, if you stepped on one it hurt like heck.

As far as to how 'huge' they were, you know that everything is bigger when you were younger. Later.
And the thing about the palm is the sheer number of the buggers!

I think it would be cool to be able to walk around the yard again, as it was, just to get a different perspective on it. I suspect the 'huge' back yard and the 'very back' wouldn't feel too big now...

cheers,