3613 N. Westmoreland Drive


3613 site plan
Originally uploaded by g_suttenfield
Sketching from memory the floor plan and site plan of the home in which you grew up starts off pretty easy, but the details can be quite blurry. Despite the fact that I left 26 years ago (after living there only about 15 years), I feel like the plan shown here is reasonably accurate. [2020 02 01 Note: the link to the sketch is broken - will have to reload] A few addenda that come to mind:

1) What is labeled as a 'lime tree' Matt suggests was a sour orange tree; also its location should be shown closer to the front-side yard.
2) The lemon tree in the front yard was closer to the street and to the left a little.
3) The palm tree to the left of the drive should be further to the left.
4) I think the naval orange should be more centered in space between the pond and the loquats.
5) "Rollerball" is written in the street - I think this should say "Roller Bat".

Some things I'm not sure of:

a) Was the 'old' patio still there?
b) In the left side yard there was a gas tank. I remember someone occassionally coming to fill it. What was this used for? A very early memory: a gas fired heater in the living room - could this have been connected to the gas tank?

Some items to note:
The willow in the 'very back' was blown down in a storm before we left there.
Note the two crosses in the left side yard: one for Whiskers, Matt's hamster, one for Francis, my hamster, may they rest in peace.
Look closely at the pond: careful David!
Note the sniper on the roof of the structure at the top of the page.
Note the bicycle in the garage: this is a reference to my accident sliding my Stringray bike into the wall.
Note the Slip 'N Slide location in the middle back yard (hard to see).
On the right side of the page is a sketch of Ladie's dog house as I remember it.

Any other addenda, gentlemen?

Cheers,

Comments

Anonymous said…
why "careful, David"?


LCS
Hello LCS:
"Careful, David" because I remember saving David from drowning in the pond when we were very little - probably Johanna's age or younger. The pond floor was very, very, very mucky, the water dark and dirty (and smelly); if you trid to walk in it, you sank into the muck, and as you pulled your foot up, the suction would pull you deeper into the muck.
I don't know why we were in there in the first place!

To see the picture better, follow these steps:
Click on the picture in the blog
(this takes you to Flickr)
Click on "All Sizes" button just above the picture.

Cool, yes?

Papa
Anonymous said…
Matt here. Yes, the old patio remained, but the corrugated tin roof was removed as I remember.

I think the tank on the side yard was an oil tank. Although, I cannot remember us using oil fired heat. I do remember sleeping with our electric fans, and my back up against the plaster wall to try and keep cool in the summer.

The game wasn't 'rollerbat', it was roll-a-bat. FWIW. If I remember correctly, it was a game that Grandma Suttenfield told us about on one of our visits during summer vacation.

The last visit to the house, about 2005, it seemed to look just like it did when we left except for the fruit trees that were missing. What was the modifications besides the pool where the pond used to be?