Come-Gitcha Plant


Come Gitcha plant
Originally uploaded by g_suttenfield
Why are some otherwise mundane things more memorable than others? This plant was located behind our Florida room prior to adding on the new family room, so it was removed about 30 years ago. That means I lived around it 8 or 9 years, so until I was 11 or 12. Despite that brief tenure, I will never forget this plant. One thing that tends to elevate a place or thing in your memory is naming it. This wasn't just a plant in the back yard, it was the "Come-Gitcha" plant. And far from being an ordinary shrub, it had several singular characteristics: First, the leaves were huge (to my young mind), hand-like shapes at the end of arms; the 'arms' were attached to a contorted caterpillar-like trunk that appeared to be covered in eyeballs; the the roots shot out from all over the trunk appearing as a Medusa-like tangle of snakes. Pretty cool!
It was torn out to make way for the new addition. I don't remember seeing that happen - maybe I was at school, or just watching TV. But I don't remember caring that it was gone either. Funny that I still remember it so clearly.
Matt reminded me of playing underneath it with our army men and other toys. I seem to recall spending some time there with my favorite Tonka toys: the front-end loader and dumptruck! Other memories I associate with that plant: ant lions and rolly-poly bugs. I think there were tons of both under that plant.
After doing a search of dozens of tropical plants being offered for sale, I still haven't come across one that looks like what I remember, so, for now, this drawing will have to do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
'come-gitcha' plant sounds pretty cool! i would have loved to play in the shade of a large thing like that!
Anonymous said…
hi papa. i didn't know you were searching for tropical plants! if you find one, i want to see it.