Food

Food - Restaurants

Reminiscing about the food we ate growing up in Orlando was made me realize how little we ate out, how many more options there are now, and also how many are still around, mainly in the fast food category. I looked into some of the restaurant's histories and learned a bit about some of our favorites.

Restaurants I remember going to:

A favorite: Shakey's Pizza. I never knew until recently this was a chain of restaurants started in California by a guy whose nickname was "Shakey" due to some nerve damage suffered in WWII. It became well known for the dixieland music it played in the restaurant. The company changed hands a few times, at one time being owned by a Singapore based company. A lot of the US stores closed at that time, now there are only about 60 stores in the States and over 300 in Asia. Its now owned by a California based company again. Things I remember about Shakey's:

I remember something about the dixieland music - was there a player piano in there? For some reason, barber shop quartets come to mind. And while waiting for our pizza, I remember playing pin ball machines. I remember the plastic glasses with that really good crushed ice for sodas... The seating area was wide open with bench seating, low light, dark woods.

Another favorite: Krystals. It turns out this is the second oldest fast-food franchise (founded 1932 in Chattanooga), but they are found only in the southeast and are privately owned. Their claim to fame: small, square hamburgers with steamed in onions. Yum! I remember buying BAGS of krystal burgers (seems like you could buy them by the dozen), and I remember them being around 25cents each. Each burger came in a small, open-top cardboard box. I don't remember much about the fries or drinks, or if there was any other desert or food option there. I could have lived off the burgers alone.

Foot long hot dog place: I've mentioned this place before, and am pretty sure it was in Pine Hills area. Foot long hot dogs, chili, and onions. Maybe some pickle relish. I remember the yellowish light (thank you John), possibly created by neon lights, but may have been yellow just to cut down on attracting bugs, since this had outdoor seating only.

KFC and Wendy's were other options. I remember Wendy's being an occasional Sunday-after-church destination, mainly for the all you can eat salad bar. I distinctly remember the chocolate pudding they always had. KFC had original and, I think, extra crispy at that time. I remember having the original most often. Oh, and great biscuits.

Another fast food destination: Roy Rogers. Roy Rogers didn't have anything to do with it. The company was started by a Marriott exec in 1968 and the name was chosen for the 'honest' image they wanted to be associated with. I loved the roast beef. It turns out the company currently has stores in only 9 mid-Atlantic states, none south of northern Virginia, so I guess the one on, I think, Lee Road, is gone.

I know there was a Steak and Shake in Winter Park I remember going to later, but did we go there in the 70's? I can't visualize mom and/or dad eating there.

Another Sunday event that was nice: the Sweden House Smorgasbord. In trying to remember some restaurants we would have taken Grandmother and Granddad when visiting, this is the only one I can visualize (a little help here, please?). Basically, this was the mother of all buffets, though I can't remember any particular food. I just remember it being a real treat.

I remember Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips. Like Roy Rogers, this company was started in the late 60's and does not appear to have a Florida location anymore. I really enjoyed eating there - great chips with malt vinegar.

Speaking of treats, I can remember going to Dairy Queen, Dairy King (wasn't that the name of the place near us on Edgewater Dr.?), and for awesome ice cream cakes and ice cream sandwiches, Carvelle.

One other spot I have a vague memory of eating: Albertsons Drug Store diner. I don't quite remember beign there with mom or dad, I just remember the place. Anybody remember eating there?

Believe it or not, that's about all I can remember. So, we mainly ate at some fast-food restaurants and a pizza joint.

Is that it? M, J, and D, please help fill in some blanks here.

Food - Home
Hamburger Helper (Beef Stroganoff was my favorite)
Lots of Crock Pot stews
Mac and cheese
PB and J, PB and banana, PB and honey
Pimento cheese sandwiches and
Fritos (I coveted my Frito Bandito pencil eraser in grade school)
Chipped beef on toast - something dad liked in the Navy, as I recall.
Lots of cereal: Total comes to mind immediately.
A big favorite: Mom made a delicious sloppy joe.
Mom really like apple butter, so I remember that with toast.

A memory from the old Florida Room: TV trays, sometimes with TV dinners. It's the TV trays that I miss. How many times did we eat on these folding tray tables while watching TV? The tray tables I remember as having gold, bent metal tube legs with a plastic tray that snapped on to the legs. The tray was a molded plastic, light colored with some kind of muted floral pattern. I can't remember when we stopped using those.

One home-made treat that was awesome: baklava. We have Mrs. Sweitzer to thank for teaching mom how to do it. (I'll have to do a post dedicated to the Sweitzers at some point - their friendship saved us from oblivion)

I know we must have eaten other things, but if I've left off something major, let me know.

Cheers,

Comments

Anonymous said…
yes you have. CHECK UP ON YOUR SPELLING. geez, i've never seen so many spelling mistakes since 1 grade! (there were about 2).




LCS