Florida Room


Florida Room
Originally uploaded by g_suttenfield
This is the Florida Room built in the late 70's replacing the original. The old room was probably only about 14 feet square, had jalousie windows, and a low-slope tar and gravel roof. I seem to remember stepping down into that old room, like 4 inches, but I could be mistaken.

The room pictured here is the first floor of a two-story addition. Note the floor plan sketch under the fireplace. This was a big room: at least 15 feet deep and around 25 feet wide. The addition was on the backside of the house, so you had to walk through the dining room to get to it. Even though it was Florida, Mom felt the fireplace necessary because it reminded her of North Carolina. It actually got some use, because I remember cleaning out the ashes, dumping them under the fruit trees.

To get to my bedroom, I had to walk through this room to the left. While I enjoyed the autonomy that came with being separated from my brothers rooms, there was this drawback: I had to trudge through the Florida Room, Dining Room, and past the Living Room just to get to a full bath. I got in the habit of bringing a full change of clothes with me if I was showering, and a trace of this habit has stuck with me to this day, even though I don't really need to do that anymore. There was a half bath under the stair, so that helped.

Things I remember about this room:
The carpet was a multi-colored greens-white-beige shag (it seemed okay at the time); the walls were a 1/4" wood-grained panel; the face of the fireplace was brick, also multi-colored; the windows were, I think, aluminum framed single-hungs; the ceiling was a "popcorn" finish and had some false beams applied to it. In addition to the half-bath, there was a storage area under the stair. This is where we kept our Christmas decorations including the faux christmas tree we used. It seems to me there was a pendant light fixture in there, but I can't seem to remember what it looked like. As for furniture, there was a Lazy Boy type chair (dad spent most of his time there, his pipes on a table nearby), and two sofas: the "green" sofa that was a sofa-bed, and another, newer one I can't remember the looks of. There was some kind of coffee table - I want to say it came from Grandmother's beach house - round with a glass top, a sort of bamboo-like frame. Or am I thinking of some other table? Also in the room was the TV, to the right of the fireplace, and on the other end of the room, near my room, was the piano, a very nice Yamaha mom had to get rid of when she moved to SC.
The "stereo" inlcuding turntable and radio was up against the wall shared with the kitchen. There were many days I thought I would melt as I suffered through Matt playing the same Van Halen album at full volume a thousand times. At least some times he would play some Beatles or the Knack for a change.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi, papa! i'm talking to you right now!
mimi said…
Don't forget Amos, the world's largest and crankiest cat. :)