Kitchen-Dining


Kitchen-Dining
Originally uploaded by g_suttenfield

So this was all I could muster on how the kitchen looked from the dining room. Something is missing in front of the fridge, or something. I was pretty sure the phone was on the wall as shown, but there was a counter, or table, or something else under it I thought, but I can't bring it to mind. Please advise (M,J, &D).

I need some help on the overhead shelf as well. I am pretty sure the sea fan was on the left, and some fish netting was up there along with some sand dollars and at least one star fish. I've shown three divisions, but maybe there were more? Fewer? What else was up there? Matt remembers that all or most of that stuff came from a trip to the Keys mom and dad made while we got left with the maid (Pearl, her son Chuckie, who else?). I have no recollection of that, unless this one brief image in my head of some kind of vine-covered clothesline is from that time...

Other things I remember about this area of the house:

The dining room used to have a cork floor that had a terrible rotted spot under the table I remember being somewhat damp. Most homes in Florida are slab-on-grade, where probably not built with a vapor barrier under the slab, and with the high water table, that would spell disaster for a cork floor. The cork was replaced with carpet when the addition was built.

Pre-addition, the kitchen had a small, circular fluorescent light surface mounted to a hard ceiling. This light may have been left in place after the addition, but a drop ceiling with acrylic lenses was added later. I am willing to bet this ceiling was long ago removed and/or replaced.

The window over the sink looked out to the back yard originally. Of course, that became the pass-through window looking into the family room later. I don't think it ever really functioned as such, but it was good to leave it open to the view through the glass doors.

I remember knotty pine paneling and cabinets in the dining room, but cannot call to mind the cabinets in the kitchen. Were those replaced with the addition?

Thats all for now...

Cheers,

Comments